Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What would it take to swap a Duramax diesel into an Avalanche?

I constantly strive news regarding new information on lift trucks. Here is an important question that I anticipate you would find entertaining.

Question by Erik E: What would it take to swap a Duramax diesel into an Avalanche?
I like everything the Avalanche has to offer, except a diesel option!

Assume I'm starting w/ a 2003-5 Avalanche 2500. I like the 6.6 Duramax ($ 5k+), but am wondering about a few things...
-would/should the tranny be replaced? Allison 1000 (~$ 2k)? (I would like to keep the 4WD)
-Front/Rear differential/axle work...what would be needed, if anything? I would also have it lifted to fit 33's
-instruments/computer/gauges; is anything reusable? Or should I plan for a complete replacement job from a silverado/sierra and custom dash work
-This would eventually be a family daily driver and occasionally used for hunting/towing/some off-road stuff. I would run it on bio-diesel made from a home set-up

Right now this is just exploration. I don't care to hear anyone say, "it would be better to just buy a new truck" or anything along those lines. This is a project I would like to plan out and see if it would be something fun to do on weekends in the garage with beers and buddies. I have the resources (manpower, tools, experience) but not unlimited funds....so what do you all think?

P.S. I've been reading quite a bit through message boards and what not, but I haven't really seen solid, direct answers to my questions. Thanks.

Best answer:

Answer by Daniel R
you would be alot farther ahead to just buy a duramax truck, you would have to replace the trans the allision is a HD trans that can handle the torque from the diesel, the fuel system is completely different, the PCM wirering harness is different, the IP will be diff,so in short you would need to spend more on converting the buying the truck. hope that answers you questions.

Give your answer to this question below!

Be sure and check out all the questions asked in posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment